Billrothhaus
The Billrothhaus is the headquarters of the Gesellschaft der Ärzte in Wien (College of Physicians) in Vienna (Frankgasse, 8). The project for a new society house was entrusted to Austrian architect Ludwig Richter and the new building was officially inaugurated on October 27, 1893, by Theodor Billroth, then President of the College. The building was named after Billroth only 1919, at the proposal of Anton Eiselsberg, the College President of that time.



Billrothhaus contains a huge medical library and a very beautiful conference room, along with many paintings and monuments of famous Austrian physicians.
The bust of Emperor Franz Joseph and the inauguration/restoration memorial tablets


The main staircase


The large library

The main conference hall



A meeting room

More informations on the English Wikipedia article and in the society’s official website (only in German).
- Photos by Luca Borghi @ (August 2016), courtesy of Dr. Felix Wahlmüller, Gesellschaft der Ärzte in Wien
- Locate the item on this Google Map
Related items:
- Alfred Luger’s portrait
- Carl von Rokitansky’s portrait
- Joseph Škoda’s portrait
- Theodor Billroth’s bas-relief
- Theodor Billroth’s bust
- Theodor Billroth’s marble bust
Bibliography
– Karl Heinz Tragl, Geschichte der Gesellschaft der Ärzte in Wien seit 1838, als Geschichte der Medizin in Wien, Böhlau Verlag, Wien 2011, pp. 435